By: Bidmyreno Admin | Jul 28, 2016
Baby is on the way and excitement is in the air! You have less than 9 months to prepare, and among the long list of things to do, prepping your home is one of the most important. Here are a few things you can do in advance of your little one's arrival:
Location of Baby’s Room
Early months will require getting up for feedings during the night so it makes sense to have the nursery close to you bedroom. However, having it a little further away from your room so the off-duty parent can continue to sleep.
Decorating For Baby
Decorating the nursery can be one the most enjoyable steps in prepping for baby’s arrival. When setting up, start with the basics; crib, changing table, dresser and rocking chair. Try not to overcrowd the room. In terms of design, the latest trends in nursery décor include “simplicity and light” and adding colourful elements as the baby grows.
Safety is of the utmost importance for new parents, and baby proofing your home is an ongoing concern through all stages of baby’s growth. Of course, there are lists of things to keep out of reach of little hands, but in terms of home adjustments, here are a few things you will want to do:
· Replace all sockets with child proof sockets
· Install a safety gate at the top and bottom of stairs
· Fasten tall bookcases and other furniture to the wall
· Locks on windows
· Make sure toy chests have lids that stay up
· Use cordless blinds or cut blind cords in half
· Install child-proof locks on cabinet doors, especially under sink cabinets with dangerous cleaning products
· Install toilet lid locks
· Adjust your water heater temperature to 120 degrees F to prevent scalding
· Install bathroom door knob that can be unlocked from the outside
Visit www.bidmyreno.com to find a handyman to baby proof your home before the big arrival!
bidmyreno.com is a free on-line listing service for home and business owners looking for quality contractors at a competitive price.