By: Bidmyreno Admin | Feb 16, 2016
Fall season home improvement “must do” projects around your home. With cold weather approaching and heating bill season here for a while, we have some suggestions for this fall season.
- Get your furnace cleaned, whether hot water, forced-air or other, dirt and grime greatly affect your furnace’s efficiency
- Replace your furnace air filter. Forced-air needs to flow well, and some studies calculate upwards of 40% lost efficiency due to poor air flow
- Caulk your windows from the outside
- Weather-strip your windows from the inside, tiny openings add up. Weather-stripping is an easy application. Your local home improvement store stocks all kinds of options.
- Remove leaves from your eaves troughs to ensure water drains well away from your roof line and foundation. If you're weary of getting on your roof, call a local contractor in your area - like Urbana roofers to help.
- Contact your snow removal contractor and speak to your neighbour about combining your contracts
- If you have a fireplace or wood stove in your home or cottage, have your chimney swept. Your insurance will ask you to do this, but it’s really a good idea for your family’s safety as well.
- Remove debris and leaves from the outside of your home, much easier now than in the spring melt off!
- 9. Change your smoke detector batteries!
Fall season home improvement “optional” projects
- Replacing sod, and if you have any trees to plant, the fall is the best time to do this work for long-term results
- Remove dead limbs from trees and plants/shrubs; it’s much easier now than in the busy spring season. Your property will look best in the spring with this work done!
- Remove any dead/weak trees from your property. Heavy winds and snow will eventually cause weak trees to fall over, so removing them this fall would be a great idea
- Plant your tulip and spring bulbs! If you want to keep the squirrels away, stake down chicken wire over the planted area. Pesky squirrels are busy in the fall season!