By: Bidmyreno Admin | Feb 16, 2016
When renovating a kitchen, regardless of the age of the house, a kitchen renovation is an excellent return on investment both in terms of quality of life as well as increasing the value of the home. Modern kitchen renovation designs are ideal for updating and modernizing an older home and to bring some sparkle to a drab space. To ensure a successful and affordable kitchen renovation, planning is the key.
1. Build around your budget; speak to your bank or mortgage broker and determine what your bottom line is. Believe it or not, you can build a brand new kitchen that will impress for $10,000 - including appliances! Unless you're comfortable living in a "space in progress" and don't mind washing dishes in the bathtub, you should not attempt any kitchen renovation unless you have adequate funding available up front. If your budget is tight in the near-term, consider downgrading your appliance or counter choices with the objective of replacing those in the future.
2. Consider the space carefully. Now is your chance to move things around, introduce space and light by adding windows and removing walls and improve your work flow. If you decide to undertake costly structural changes, it is essential that you employ a builder who can work within your budget. Always ensure before you start the work that any structural changes, such as the addition or removal of a room divider or the installation of a seat-window or skylight, have been adequately costed into the overall project.
3. Address the structure and services (heating, lighting, plumbing etc.).
4. Consider your materials options with your remaining budget in mind. Kitchen counter tops, cabinets and floor coverings come in a myriad of flavours and styles. This is, obviously, the easiest area in which to control costs as again, if your budget is tight, consider downgrading your appliance or counter choices with the objective of replacing those in the future.
5. Build in a buffer budget for unanticipated repairs or issues. Don't be afraid to poke around your old kitchen, looking for potential problem areas such as missing or buckled floor areas. Don't forget you'll need a permit to renovate your kitchen. Believe it or not, if you're only moving a sink, updating or changing your electrical, you'll need a permit.
Need to have your kitchen renovated? Post your project on www.bidmyreno.com and have contractors bid on your renovation!
bidmyreno.com is a free on-line listing service for home and business owners looking for quality contractors at a competitive price.